Today’s blog was written by Yinova acupuncturist Amanda Silver. Amanda has over a decade of experience as an acupuncturist and herbalist and is a popular practitioner here at the Yinova Center where she is known for her practical, common sense advice on all matters related to OB/GYN.
Spring is a great time to do a cleanse, but some cleanses aren’t particularly safe when you are trying to get pregnant. A lot of popular cleanses today involve fasting or just drinking juices/water, which can be draining to the vital energies needed to get pregnant. Chinese Medicine generally advises against strict fasting and recommends eating a very clean diet of fresh fruit and vegetables and lean organic protein.
Here are some guidelines for a safe cleanse when trying to become pregnant:
- Avoid sugar, including all “fake sugars”. This can be difficult, but I have noticed that it gets easier after the 3rd day. So hang in there!
- Eat mostly vegetables, organic when possible.
- Eat a variety of grains, not just wheat. Try whole grains, such as brown rice, oats, buckwheat, millet and rye. These foods are high in B vitamins, which the liver needs to support its metabolic processes. Whole grains also bind excess hormones and toxins to carry them through the bowel for excretion.
- Drink water. Try to drink half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 140 lbs drink 70 oz or about 9 x 8oz glasses a day.
- Cut out caffeine and alcohol. Always a good rule when trying to get pregnant.
- Meditate and breathe. These relaxation techniques help to reduce stress hormones. For more information about mediation see this Yinova blog article